Who doesn’t want a perfectly cut beach body?
If your ultimate workout goal is to show off ripped muscles at the beach, then keep reading because we are going to tell you how actor Zac Efron got into peak shape in just a matter of weeks with some cardio and strength training, plus an extremely focused diet.
Table of Contents
From Neighbors to Baywatch
Zac Efron shot to fame as a teenager when he starred in Disney’s High School Musical film trilogy between 2006 and 2008. And after that he starred in movies like 17 Again, The Lucky One, and Neighbors.
He has always been a pretty good-looking Hollywood type, but something major happened to Efron in the time between playing fraternity leader Teddy Sanders in Neighbors in 2014 and starring in the 2017 summer blockbuster Baywatch — he got insanely ripped.
It makes sense that Efron would want to look his absolute best, since he was standing shirtless next to Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson in just about every scene of the movie. But, Efron’s transformation was so extreme that it shocked fans.
Granted Zac Efron’s height at only 5′ 8″ pales in comparison to Dwayne Johnson’s towering height of 6′ 5″, but his hard work and incredible fat loss can’t be denied.
The craziest thing is that his trainer, Patrick Murphy, revealed that the actor reached 5% body fat after training for just 12 weeks, and this is how he did it.
The Zac Efron Workout Routine
Murphy says that Efron’s training was constantly evolving, so he condensed the best of his workout routines into a three-day split.
- Day One – Back, Biceps, and Abs
- Day Two – Legs and Abs
- Day Three – Shoulders, Chest, Arms, and Abs
The biggest part of this workout routine is supersetting, which is doing two exercises back-to-back with no rest between them. This approach saves time and it doubles as cardio because it burns more calories while enhancing the “pump” that drives more nutrition-filled blood into the muscles to make them grow faster.
The exercises in the routine are meant to build muscle mass, as well as speed and agility, so Efron could look and act like a lifeguard. Also, there a lot of compound lifts in this workout routine to help you work multiple muscle groups at the same time. This is essential for proper strength training.
Zac Efron Workout Video
Here’s a really good video that goes over the concepts of the Zac’s training as explained by his own trainer.
Day One Exercises
- Straight Arm Pulldown – 3 Sets 8-12 Reps No Rest
- Ab Rollout – 3 Sets 8-12 Reps 60 Seconds Rest
- Seated Cable Row – 3 Sets 8-12 Reps No Rest
- Suspended Row – 3 Sets 8-12 Reps 60 Seconds Rest
- Neutral-Grip Pullup – 3 Sets 8-12 Reps No Rest
- Lat Pulldown from Knees – 3 Sets 8-12 Reps 60 Seconds Rest
- Chinup – 3 Sets 8-12 Reps No Rest
- Dumbbell Biceps Curl – 3 Sets 8-12 Reps 60 Seconds Rest
Day Two Exercises
- Leg Press – 3 Sets 8-12 Reps No Rest
- Suspension Squat Jump – 3 Sets 20 Reps 60 Seconds Rest
- Swiss Ball Hip Extension – 3 Sets 8-12 Reps No Rest
- Swiss Ball Leg Curl – 3 Sets 20 Reps 60 Seconds Rest
- Reverse Walking Lunge – 3 Sets 8-12 Reps (Each Side) No Rest
- Mountain Climbers – 3 Sets 20 Reps 60 Seconds Rest
- Dumbbell Romanian Deadlift – 3 Sets 8-12 Reps No Rest
- Kick Butts – 3 Sets 20 Reps 60 Seconds Rest
- Unstable Single-Leg Calf Raise – 3 Sets 8-12 Reps (each side) No Rest
- Suspension Trainer Single-
- Leg Squat Hop – 3 Sets 20 Reps (each side) 60 Seconds Rest
Day Three Exercises
- Dumbbell Squat Front Raise – 3 Sets 8-12 Reps No Rest
- Cross-Body Cable Raise – 3 Sets 8-12 Reps 60 Seconds Rest
- Dumbbell Floor Press – 3 Sets 8-12 Reps No Rest
- Pushup – 3 Sets 8-12 Reps 60 Seconds Rest
- Incline Dumbbell Press – 3 Sets 8-12 Reps No Rest
- Dumbbell Overhead Press – 3 Sets 8-12 Reps 60 Seconds Rest
- Chest Cable Fly – 3 Sets 8-12 Reps No Rest
- Bosu Plyo Pushup – 3 Sets 8-12 Reps 60 Seconds Rest
- Single-Arm Pushdown – 3 Sets 8-12 Reps each side No Rest’
- Single-Arm Curl – 3 Sets 8-12 Reps each side 60 Seconds Rest
Zac Efron Diet
As a hardgainer or ectomorph, Efron has a high metabolism and can stay lean without thinking about his diet. But, to get to the next level in his training, he has taken his diet very seriously.
To build bulk and lean muscle, there are a few guidelines that hardgainers should follow, the most important being consuming a lot of protein and working out on a full stomach.
Efron says that he eats a lot, but does keep it healthy. The biggest part of his diet are fruits, veggies, and proteins, and he also added fats to his daily food intake. Some of his favorites are eggs, oats, chicken, beef, and fish.
During his training, Efron didn’t eat carbs, which he says was incredibly tough. Instead, he focused on consuming healthy calories, and ate between 3,000 to 4,000 calories every day. So, you want to make sure to track your calories each day and track your progress. There are great apps out there to help you do this, like My Fitness Pal.
He may have consumed a pre-workout supplement to fuel his workouts, which would be a great idea for any ectomorph to summon more energy.
Efron did consume some dairy (which is the only way carbs got into his system). But, dairy is a tricky subject for people. For some, the calcium can help tremendously with losing stubborn belly fat. But, if you are lactose intolerant, you have to avoid dairy so it doesn’t cause bloating. If you need to avoid dairy, but need the calcium, add kale and spinach to your diet
Also, Efron avoids junk food and refined carbs like bread, pasta, rice, cereal, sugar, and alcohol flour. Of course, there is a cheat day every now and then, but it is not a regular habit.
Build A Body Like Zac Efron
So, that’s how you do it. A three-day fitness rotation that you go through twice each week and a restricted carb-free diet.
If you get super-focused and don’t cheat, you could be ripped like Efron in no time. However, if you want to take a more reasonable approach, and still get a killer body, you can check out this review of the Greek God Program that reveals the details of one of the most popular diet and training programs designed to transform your body.
Also, if you’re interested in getting REALLY big and coveting that superhero look, I’d suggest learning more about this extremely effective superhero workout program to get that powerful look like Hollywood actors in major blockbuster movies.