Here’s a fact you already know:
Targeting each muscle group several times per week is the most efficient way to build serious mass and strength—and this is an idea that’s been scientifically proven time and time again.
But here’s the thing:
As much as you want to be bigger and stronger than you already are, a strict mass-building routine leaves other areas of fitness in the rearview.
Agility, power, speed. You know, the things you often overlook.
If you want to reach true “beast” status, the Athlean-X Total Beast Workout Program may just be the program that’ll turn your fitness goals into your new reality.
Let’s find out what this program truly has to offer.
Table of Contents
- About the Creator – Athlean-X & Jeff Cavaliere
- What is the Athlean-X Total Beast Workout Program?
- Workout Program Details & Features
- 4 Benefits of the Athlean-X Total Beast Workout Program
- 2 Negatives of the Workout Program
- Wrapping Up This Athlean-X Total Beast Review
About the Creator – Athlean-X & Jeff Cavaliere
The unprecedented combo of Athlean-X and Jeff Cavaliere is one that nobody anticipated to be so successful. Yet several years and dozens of workout programs later, here we are.
Here’s what you need to know.
Jeff Cavaliere is as legit as they come in the fitness industry.
With a Master’s Degree in physical therapy and an NSCA strength and conditioning certificate, he backs all of his fitness advice and routines with science and first-hand experience.
Every word out of Cavaliere’s mouth has biomechanics and injury prevention in mind!
Cavaliere used his expertise and training to develop Athlean-X.
The company frequently receives high regard from worldwide superstars—the likes of Sylvester Stallone and WWE’s Sting—while catering workout routines to people of all skill levels.
Whether you want to build muscle, burn fat, or something else, there’s a program for it!
But Athlean-X doesn’t stop there.
In addition to legitimate programs that produce staggering results, Athlean-X as a company creates and sells fitness and nutrition supplements like pre-workout and protein.
What is the Athlean-X Total Beast Workout Program?
So no, this program isn’t your run-of-the-mill hypertrophy or strength routine.
Across the four training phases, each of which consists of up to five 60-minute workouts per week, you’ll target hypertrophy, explosiveness, and conditioning (to fast-track recovery).
Pair the draining workouts with a growth-focused meal plan and challenges against the world’s most elite athletes, and you can see why so many hard gainers swear by this workout routine.
If you follow the program to a T, you’ll be well on your way to “beast status.”
And with three levels of “Beast Mode” to choose from with this routine, you can reasonably expect to excel with this program whether this is your first time working out or 1,000th.
Workout Program Details & Features
The Athlean-X Total Beast Workout Program 100% looks like the real deal on paper.
A program that can help you bulk up, assume insane power, and recover faster than ever….what could possibly go wrong?
Let’s discuss what you need to know about this program!
For accountability purposes, the program does not allow you to see your calendar for the next month until you complete all workouts. So that’s what we’ll be referencing.
Base vs. Beast vs. Total Beast
Each workout gives you the ability to choose your “Mode,” so to speak.
“Base” mode is for beginners and will be the standard workout, but don’t expect it to be easy.
“Beast” mode will ramp up the number of exercises and reps per workout.
“Total Beast” will introduce insane exercise concepts like “Triple X Sets,” which is essentially a unique take on grueling rest-pause sets.
You can change your mode from one workout to the next. So don’t feel you have to push through a Beast workout when you’re not at 100% when you wake up.
Total Body Workouts
At least in phase one, you’ll be cranking through three total-body workouts per week, aptly known as total body workouts 1, 2, and 3.
Intensity and reps will vary from one workout to the next, as well as in each workout.
Some exercises will be performed at your 4-6 RM, others at 10-12 RM, and a few at your 15 RM—particularly with ladder sets. Many workouts also infuse ISO holds that burn like hell.
Exercise-wise, plan to hit each muscle group three times a week, with exercises like:
- Barbell hip thrusts
- Weighted dips
- Barbell rows
- 3D crossovers
- Reverse barbell lunges
There’s no shortage of variety, and you’ll never be bored with any workout you come across!
Twice a week, you’ll get a conditioning and recovery-based workout known as “Beast Regeneration.” This is your chance each week to choose your workout.
With kettlebells, agility ladders, and resistance bands, you’ll do sets of “corrective” exercises like band pull aparts and hip band ladders and conditioning exercises like mountain climbers.
Some choice workouts also end with sets of upper and lower body stretches.
The goal of these “Beast Regeneration” workouts is to speed up your recovery between workouts and return to the gym for your next workout stronger than before.
Starting on week three of phase one, you’ll start adding in once-weekly power workouts, known as “Power Days.” These workouts are meant to build on your upper and lower body power.
Most workouts will start with some variation of the three core power exercises, including box jumps, dead rows, or hand cleans and presses.
You’ll then move onto what’s called a “Power Ladder.” This consists of three exercises, like plyo push-ups and pull-ups, as you work your way up to six or so reps per set.
These workouts will help you mold the power aspect of your athleticism.
Each phase will also come with one challenge, where you’ll see where you stand against some of the fittest athletes in the world.
For challenges, you’ll either record the number of reps you complete, the rounds you muster through, or the total time it takes to complete a challenge.
Add your performance to the leaderboard and see how you compare with other Athlean-X users.
One last note on this program: It comes with a meal plan.
Each day, you’ll have six meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner, and three snacks) planned for you and broken down by ingredients for each.
You also have the option to make a “shred swap” or a “size swap,” depending on what your overall fitness goal is: Weight loss, mass building, or both.
4 Benefits of the Athlean-X Total Beast Workout Program
- Three Difficulty Levels: Jeff Cavaliere knows that not everyone can do several ladder sets of plyo push-ups, especially if your training experience is limited. So the option to choose between Base, Beast, or Total Beast Mode (and switch between them freely at your leisure) makes this program accessible to all fitness levels from day one.
- Targets All Areas Of Fitness: Strength and size building routines are significant, but a true athlete doesn’t exist without power, agility, and flexibility. The inclusion of power and recovery-based workouts ensures full-body fitness improvements, not just visible improvements to your physique.
- Unique Workouts: Plenty of full-body routines can trigger results in as little as 6-12 weeks, but cycling through the same few workouts each week means losing interest. This workout sends you through different workouts every single day and slowly increases in intensity as the phases progress, so boredom isn’t an issue.
- Compound Lift Focus: Like any total body workout plan, the Beast program emphasizes compound lifts during workouts. That means you can hit all muscle groups in your body without an absurd number of sets or intentional focus on each minor muscle group—though some Beast workouts include exercises like bicep curls.
2 Negatives of the Workout Program
- No Refund Policy: We’ve all chosen workout programs in the past, only to get halfway through the first workout and realize it’s too intense or not intense enough. Unfortunately, Athlean-X program purchases are all final. So if you start this program and dislike it right off the bat, you won’t be getting any of your money back.
- Five Straight Workouts: Some guys prefer being in the gym as often as possible, so this one probably won’t be a deal-breaker. But the fact you’ll be doing full-body workouts essentially five days back-to-back, even with those Beast Regeneration days, you may not be entirely at 100% by the time you return to the gym. Overtraining is possible.
Wrapping Up This Athlean-X Total Beast Review
The Athlean-X Total Beast Workout Program is one of the better programs out there if you’re looking to target gains in every facet of fitness and physique.
This program is accessible to all skill levels thanks to three intensity levels, hits all fitness areas adequately (including power and agility), is unique, and prioritizes compound lifts.
But, the program isn’t without its downsides.
In addition to not getting any money back if you disapprove of the program after purchase, working out five days straight may be overwhelming for the untrained individual.
Choose this program if you’re of the mindset that more is always better when it comes to fitness. But consider an easier program if you’re a true newbie looking to get your feet wet.